Dental exams and cleanings are an important part of your oral health care. You should visit AZ Dental every six months to receive this preventive treatment. We invite you to call us at 408-227-6000 to schedule your appointment with Drs. Andrew McDonald, Trang Thai, and Valerie De Leon and learn more about dental cleanings and exams in San Jose, California.
During your comprehensive dental exam, our dentist and hygienist will:
- Take and examine dental X-rays. This is essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, bone loss, and other dental problems. X-rays are also used to determine tooth and root positions and plan further treatments.
- Perform an oral cancer screening. We will check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, gums, and other oral tissues for any abnormal tissue or signs of oral cancer.
- Check for periodontal disease.
- Check for tooth decay.
- Examine any existing restorations (fillings, crowns, etc.) to make sure they are functioning properly.
Professional dental cleanings are usually performed by dental hygienists. It includes:
- The removal of calculus (tartar). Calculus is hardened plaque that is firmly attached to the tooth surface. It forms both above and below the gum line, and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- The removal of plaque. Plaque is a sticky, colorless film that forms on the teeth. It hosts harmful bacteria, which can infect and inflame your gums and lead to the development of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Polishing your teeth to remove stains and any plaque missed during the other parts of the cleaning, and to smooth the tooth surface.
For more information and to schedule your next dental exam and cleaning, contact our practice today.