Our periodontist may recommend antibiotic treatment to kill the harmful bacteria in your mouth and help you regain good oral health. Antibiotics may be provided in combination with another treatment or as a stand-alone treatment. Call AZ Dental at 408-227-6000 to learn more about antibiotic periodontal treatment in San Jose, California, and schedule your appointment with Dr. Lynna Bui.
Antibiotic treatments may come in oral or topical form. There are three main types of oral antibiotics:
- Tetracycline – this antibiotic has properties which reduce inflammation and block the proteins that destroy connective tissue.
- Macrolide – this antibiotic is effective at reducing inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Metronidazole – this antibiotic is generally used in combination with amoxicillin or tetracycline to fight inflammation and bacterial growth.
Topical antibiotics include:
- Atridox® – a gel which gradually releases antibiotic medication.
- PerioChip® – a chip placed directly into the gum pocket after root planing, which slowly releases a powerful antibacterial antiseptic.
- Acitisite® – a thin strip similar to dental floss, which is placed temporarily between the tooth and the gum to kill bacteria and reduce the depth of periodontal pockets.
- Elyzol® – available in both gel and strip form, this antibiotic destroys parasites as well as oral bacteria.
- Arestin® – this antibiotic comes in mini capsules, which are delivered into the gums following scaling and root planing.
For more information about antibiotic treatment for gum disease, contact our office today.